These are some of the best crock pot cheesesteak sandwiches I’ve ever had. Since the first time I’ve made them, my family has asked for them at LEAST once a week. It’s also a customizeable (is that even a word? It doesn’t look right) recipe. If you don’t like mushrooms, leave ’em out. If you LOVE onions, add extra. If you would rather use sharp cheddar cheese instead of provolone, go for it!
– 1 1/2 pounds of beef round steak, flat iron steak or skirt steak – cut into thin strips (make sure to cut against the grain)
– 1 medium bell pepper, sliced thin
– 1 medium onion, sliced thin
– 1 small container of button mushrooms, sliced
– 1 14 ounce container of beef broth (I use low sodium, but regular works too)
– 1 envelope of dry Italian salad dressing mix
– 1 – 2 loaves of French bread, cut into sandwich lengths and halved
– Provolone cheese slices (enough to cover the top of the sandwich, really depends on how much cheese you like on your sandwich)
Spray your crock pot with Pam non-stick spray. Put the beef into crock pot. Top with peppers, onions and mushrooms. In a small bowl, combine the beef broth and Italian salad dressing mix. Pour over beef and veggies. Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours of high for 3 – 4 hours.
When meat and veggies are done cooking, place the halved french bread pieces in a 375 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes. Spoon enough of mixture on each sandwich to cover bread completely. Place slice of cheese over mixture and return to oven for 5 minutes (or long enough to melt cheese). Spoon broth from crock pot into small bowls and serve with sandwiches to dip in (like au jus is served with French dip sandwiches).