When I was growing up my granny would make candied vegetables. She would do this by cooking butter, sugar and water in a cast iron pan then adding the veggie. Since I liked the candied carrots the best (even though the candied yellow squash were GREAT too) it is no shock that I love these sweet orange glazed carrots cooked in the crock pot. My favorite accompaniment to the glazed carrots is ham. What better time of year than the holiday season to pair these two together.
Here is how I do it:
- 2 pounds (or 4 cups) of carrots sliced to 1/2 inch thick (you could also use prepackaged baby carrots)
- 3/4 cup of orange marmalade
- 3 Tablespoons of water
- 1 Tablespoon of softened butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
In the bottom of a 2 – 3 quart crock pot mix the marmalade, water, butter and spices. Once incorporated toss the carrots in and stir to coat. Drizzle the top of the carrots with the honey. Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3- 4 hours. Just before serving squeeze 1/2 lemon into the crock pot and stir. **Note** Cooking time will depend on how firm or soft you like your carrots. I like mine a little softer, so I cook mine the longer amount of time on low.
Now it’s your turn to share your favorite vegetable side dish. Have you made a crock pot full of green beans or corn? We would love to know how you did it and how well your friends and family loved it. Here are the guidelines to participating:
- Make sure it’s a crock pot dish. Even though you’ve made wonderful veggie sides in the oven or on top of the stove, we want to know what you’ve done in your crock pot.
- Link to a direct recipe not to a homepage. This will insure that everyone can find your wonderful creation forever without having to search your site.
- Mention on your direct post that you shared the recipe here. That way your visitors can find more wonderful crock pot veggie side dishes.
- Have fun! This is set up so that we can all meet other crock potters.