Since I’m always on the hunt for crock pot brunch and breakfast recipes, I was SOOOO excited when Ott, A submitted this egg brunch casserole to share. Here is how she does it:
- 6 – 8 strips of bacon, cooked, cooled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 red or green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 – 2 lb bag of frozen hashbrowns
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
In a medium sized skillet, saute onion, garlic and bell pepper until softened. Grease crock pot well. Place 1/3 of frozen hashbrown in bottom of crock pot. Top with a third of the bacon, a third of the onion, garlic and bell pepper mixture and a third of the cheese. Repeat this two more times making sure to end with cheese. In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add milk, dill, salt and pepper and mix to incorporate. Pour the mixture over top of layered ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours. When done, a thermometer should read 160 degrees when placed in center of casserole. Yields 8 – 10 servings. Go here for original recipe.
- I would use a 6 quart crock pot for this.
- This would be a great recipe to use Reynold’s slow cooker liners. They make for very easy clean up.
- If your crock pot cooks a little on the hot side, consider substituting canned evaporated milk in place of whole milk.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful brunch recipe with us Ott, A! This just might turn into my new holiday breakfast.