This year as we were making our rounds at the different fall festivals and fairs Miss Maddy wanted to try candy apples. She was hoping each and every time to bite into that apple, but couldn’t make it past the hard candy shell. I eventually promised her I would make her a candy apple at home that she’d be able to eat easily (cause I’m cool like that). The other day as she headed off to school I decided to take a stab at making inside out candy apples in the crock pot. I knew they would be a great snack for her after school. I also knew if it was a fail I could make cinnamon-y applesauce out of them 🙂 They turned out wonderful! Maddy had about 3 (which were in halves) and instantly wanted to know when I was going to make those again. They really were the perfect small snack for little ones. The apple skins served as their own bowls while we scooped the “candy apple” out and ate it.
Here is how I did it: Ingredients:
- apples, washed, cut in half and cored (enough to fit into whatever crock pot your using)
- red hots candies ( a teaspoonful for each apple half)
- 1/3 cup of water
- Put a spoon of candies in each apple half and place them in the crock pot.
- Pour the water carefully into the bottom, making sure you don’t fill up any of the apple halves that have been filled with the candies.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 – 3 hours or low for 4 – 5 hours.
- Serve warm or cooled.