Giveaway Ended! Go here to see winner.
The kind editors of Woman’s Day at Filipacchi Publishing have provided me with their cookbook ‘Healthy Slow Cooking’ to review. As a bonus for doing this they’re allowing me to give one away to one of you. How exciting is that?!?!
As the cover of the cookbook suggests it is more flavor with fewer calories. Many of y’all have been asking for healthier recipes. This is the perfect cookbook for that!
Go here to purchase now.
The cookbook begins with a nice two page spread that lists the helpful dos and don’ts of slow cooking. These tips will help you to utilize your crock pot to it’s maximum potential. The next thing I love about it is the breakdown of recipes by main ingredient. They are beef, poultry, pork, lamb, seafood and vegetarian.
Since spring is upon us I thought I’d share one of the lighter recipes from the cookbook, just to give you a taste (no pun intended) of what you’ll find inside. While all the recipes are healthy there is a few that are heartier than the others. I really want to break the stigma of crock pots and slow cookers being just a fall and winter appliance, that’s why I chose this recipe.
This Apple Chicken Curry was the first spring/ summer crock pot recipe from Healthy Slow Cooking that caught my eye. I plan on adding the the ingredients to my shopping list for next weeks menu. Believe it or not, the hubs and the 3 year old are both excited about that. Here is how it’s done:
Photo(s) courtesy Filipacchi Publishing
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/ or breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 apples, peeled if desired, cored and cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 cups green and/ or red bell pepper, seeded and cut in chunks
- 1 can (about 14 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Cooked rice (optional)
(1) Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper, place in a 5 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker along with apples.(2) In a large skillet, combine bell peppers, tomatoes with their juices, apple juice, curry powder and garlic; bring to boil. Stir in raisins. Pour over chicken and apples in slow cooker.(3) Cover and cook on low 4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over cooked rice, if desired.
Now since I’ve teased you with a wonderful, healthy slow cooker recipe from the Healthy Slow Cooking cookbook, I’m going to give you a chance to win a copy for yourself. Here is what you can do to enter for your chance to win:
Mandatory Entry: Leave a comment below sharing what your favorite healthy slow cooker recipe is.
EXTRA ENTRIES CAN ONLY BE OBTAINED ONCE YOU’VE COMPLETED THE MANDATORY ENTRY! Here is how you can get extra entries into the giveaway:
- 1 ENTRY – Like Crock Pot Recipe Exchange on facebook and leave a comment here stating you’ve done so.
- 1 ENTRY – Like Filipacchi Publishing on facebook and leave a comment here stating you’ve done so.
- 1 ENTRY – Follow Crock Pot Recipe Exchange on Twitter and leave a comment here stating you’ve done so.
- 1 ENTRY – Follow Filipacchi Publishing on Twitter and leave a comment here stating you’ve done so.
- 2 ENTRIES – Give Crock Pot Recipe Exchange a “thumbs up” on Babbles’s Food Mom Blogs ~ 2011 and leave a comment here stating you’ve done so (you should be able to do this once a day, leave a seperate comment for each day that you’ve done this).
- 1 ENTRY – Follow Crock Pot Recipe Exchange through Google Friend Connect (you will see it on the left hand side of this page) and leave a comment here that you’ve done so.
Please remember to leave a seperate comment for each entry. Also remember to leave your name, first initial and last name, first name and last initial or something allowing us to know that it is you within the comment (this is mainly for anonymous commenters). I want everyone to have a fair and square chance of winning. If you are already a facebook and/ or twitter follower of Crock Pot Recipe Exchange or Filipacchi Publishing don’t forget to leave a comment saying that too – you don’t have to be a new follower to receive extra enteries for the giveaway.
The giveaway will end on Tuesday, March 29th at 11:59 PM EST. All entries will be verified, and please remember you must do the mandatory entry before you can gain extra entries into the giveaway. This giveaway is for residents of the US and Canada age 18 and over ONLY.
If you can’t wait to see if you’re the winner and would like to purchase Healthy Slow Cooking immediatly, click here to do so.
Good Luck to everyone!
DISCLOSURE: I was given a copy of Healthy Slow Cooking from Filipacchi Publishing in exchange for an honest and fair review of this cookbook on Crock Pot Recipe Exchange. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine and only reflect my opinion of the cookbook that I received.
Curry with apple juice? Genius!!
Curry is one of my favorite dishes. Thank you for sharing this great idea.