This crock pot moroccan chicken was submitted by Dee Dee’s Delights. It’s look absolutely delicious, not to mention extremely easy. Here is how she does it:
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into large chunks (or assorted chicken pieces, about 3 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons flour or cornflour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 pint chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon saffron or turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- chopped fresh Cilantro to garnish
Directions: PLEASE NOTE: This recipe lists canned chickpeas in the ingredients, NOT dried! If you use dried chickpeas, you MUST soak them and cook them first! Heat up olive oil in a frying pan/skillet & saute chopped onions & garlic for 5-10 minutes. Add chicken stock & gradually mix in flour or cornflour until well mixed & not lumpy. Add honey & tomato paste & mix well. Add herbs,spices & finely chopped ginger with salt & pepper to taste. Finally add tinned tomatoes & mix well. Pour the tomato, onion & spice mix into slow cooker. Add chicken & chickpeas & mix well. Add dried apricots and carrots making sure they are covered by juice. Give it a gentle but good stir to mix everything together well. Cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours.
- I definitely will be using turmeric instead of saffron. Strictly an affordability decision.
- I would guess that you could use a 4 quart or larger crock pot for this.
- It should be able to be cooked on low for 6 – 8 hours.