It is always challenging trying to come up with something different for supper. In this household we are big pizza and pasta eaters so it was only a matter of time that I incorporated barbecue into one of these. Now don’t get me wrong…. I didn’t come up with this ENTIRELY by myself. It was just a couple of weeks ago that we had a stuffed crust pizza with all the barbecue chicken toppings. And man….. was it good!!!
I brainstormed for a few days before I decided exactly how to go about this. I first thought to make crock pot shredded barbecued chicken and then used the leftovers to make lasagna. Then I thought I didn’t want the real tanginess of JUST barbecue sauce. After much contemplation this is the crock pot barbecue chicken lasagna recipe I came up with.
- 12 oz box of lasagna noodle, uncooked
- 24 oz jar of favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 18 oz bottle of favorite barbecue sauce
- 24 oz container of cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon of parsley
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Spray a 5 – 6 quart crock pot liberally with non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix jarred spaghetti sauce, barbecue sauce and water together.
- In another medium sized bowl, combine the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, egg and parsley.
- Pour 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the crock pot and spread to coat it evenly.
- Layer dry lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Break the noodles to fit if necessary to completely cover the sauce.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture evenly over top of noodles.
- In even layer, spread 1/3 of shredded mozzarella over top of cheese mixture.
- Place all of cubed cooked chicken on top of cheese layers.
- Repeat layers of sauce, noodles and cheeses. Make sure to end with sauce as top layer and to reserve at least 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella for later,
- Cover and cook on low for 4 – 6 hours.
- Last 30 minutes turn crock pot off and evenly spread the remaining mozzarella on top. (You turn it off so that it can cool down and set up… no body likes runny lasagna…… now ask me how I know it will be runny if you dip it immediately :/ )
- Serve with favorite salad and bread.