If you like Indian food, you are probably gonna be glad that Meredith is sharing this one. I know I can’t wait to try this crock pot chicken vindaloo….. I’m definitely going to have to add some things to my grocery list now (just sayin’). Thanks Meredith!
Here is what Meredith had to say:I got this recipe from RecipeZaar and made some modifications. It turned out fantastic! I’ve made some lame attempts at Indian food in the past that were mediocre at best. This was my first real success!
Link to original: http://www.recipezaar.com/Crock-Pot-Chicken-Vindaloo-24139
* 3 tablespoons vinegar (I used white wine vinegar.)
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger (I used ground.)
* 3/4 tablespoon curry powder (I used hot Madras.)
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I used a sprinkle of Oriental five-spice, since I had no cloves.)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground hot pepper (I used cayenne.)
* 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (I used 1T of Dijon instead)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 1 cinnamon stick (I used powdered.)
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, quartered (I cut the chicken into chunks.)
* 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried.)
I whisked all the ingredients but the chicken together in the crock pot. Then, I layered the chicken chunks atop the sauce. It cooked on high for about 3-4 hours, since I started mid-afternoon, but the original recipe advises low for 5 hours. Once the chicken pieces had turned white and were mostly cooked, I stirred them into the sauce–this kept them from drying out. I served it over jasmine rice. Success!
*NOTE* Recipezaar (which is where Meredith got the original recipe, see above) is now Food.com. If you click on the link Meredith provided above, it will still take you to the correct recipe.
This recipe is shared at Tasty Tuesday, Simply Indulgent Tuesday 9/7/10, What’s On the Menu Wednesday, Prairie Story Recipe Swap Thursday, Foodie Friday and Family Food Friday.
Leave a Reply