When I saw this and realized it was one of those “look in your pantry and you have everything to make it” recipes, I was determined to give it a try. The love also went up a notch when I realized I didn’t have to make a pie crust. What could be better than crock pot chicken “pot pie” stew for a cold winter day? Pretty much nothing.
Thanks for sharing Julie!
Here is how she does it:
– 3-5 Frozen Chicken Breasts – I leave whole and use large pieces – they fall apart when finished
– 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
– 1 Can Cream of Potato Soup
– 1 Can Mixed Vegetables – I use “Veg-All”
– 1 Can Sliced New Potatoes
– 1 Tablespoon Dried Onion Flakes
Place chicken in crock-pot, mix all other ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cook 8-10 hours on low. Remove chicken and cut or pull apart, thicken stew, if desired, with some flour or Wondra flour for gravy. Put the chicken back in crock-pot to keep warm. Serve with cresent rolls or other dinner rolls and it tastes just like Chicken Pot Pie! I also serve w/a salad. This receipe can easily be doubled or modified to fit what your family likes!
- I used a 4 – 5 quart crock pot to make this.
- I didn’t feel the need to thicken it with flour (and I’m not sure what Wondra flour is), but if you don’t have flour I would say that cornstarch would work too. If you use cornstarch, remember to mix a little of it with water before adding it to the pot or you will end up with lumps.
- It is great served over biscuits. I generally don’t have crescent rolls or dinner rolls on hand, but I always have the makings for biscuits.
- If your short on time, I would imagine that you could cook it on high for 4 – 5 hours.
- I drained and rinsed the can of Veg-All and the can of sliced new potatoes (which probably explains why I didn’t need to add a thickener to it).
- I also added 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper. I just thought it might need it (to me it’s strange to not have any seasonings at all in a recipe).
Thanks again Julie for sharing your amazingly delicious and easy stew with us.