We are starting the new year off with our basic crock pot oatmeal. This has been a go to breakfast for me and Miss Maddy for a while now. It is so simple to make, it's not even a recipe really.
I make a batch of it once a week and then put what we don't eat in 8 oz. jars with lids (in the fridge of course) for easy heating up on other mornings using the microwave. Starting with this basic oatmeal allows us to add in what we each like (which is usually something different for each of us every day... just keepin' it real YO!).
- 1/2 cup of STEEL CUT oats
- 2 cups of liquid (water, apple juice, almond milk.... it will depend on what you want your add ins to be as to what liquid you'll use)
- add ins (*SEE NOTE BELOW)
- Spray a 1 - 1 1/2 quart crock pot with non stick spray.
- Add oats and liquid.
- Place lid on and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours.
- Serve with desired add ins.
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon: 2 heaping teaspoons of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per 8 oz of cooked oats.
Mickey D's Fruit and Maple: 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup, 1/4 of a fresh apple (chopped), 1 tablespoon of each of golden raisins, craisins and raisins per 8 oz of cooked oats
Peaches and Cream: Small snack size container of diced peaches in syrup and 1/4 cup of milk per 8 oz of cooked oats
Chocolate Chip: 2 - 3 Tablespoons of chocolate chips per 8 oz of cooked oats